The Office of Global Learning Initiatives offers globally-focused, student-led clubs and organizations. These opportunities focus on a variety of topics, including global health, research, community service, sustainable development goals and global citizen leadership.
GlobeMed focuses on health equity, professional development and growth, and mobilizing a community of students to work together to maintain knowledge of health worldwide. We seek to understand the “how” of current systems we operate within that continue to perpetuate inequalities.
In order to build leaders driven for excellence in diverse opportunities, we need to expand our access to all students to take a chance in impacting the lives of others. Anyone regardless of major or career pursuit can join our FIU Chapter in the commonality of impacting your community from a local to a global standpoint.
Our main mission is to raise funds for a school, Escuelita De La Calle (EDELAC), that takes in orphans and homeless kids that are not able to meet the proper needs of providing equal education and health opportunities.
- Global Health University Discussions
- Educate others about community development issues in other countries that ties back to health
- Fundraiser proceeds that go towards partner NGO and activities in partner site
- Visit the partner site, Escuela de la Calle, to assist completing necessary community projects
- Community service and volunteering opportunities every meeting
Requirements for Membership
- Body meetings bi-weekly
- 2 Tuesday round tables per semester
- Monthly interventions with EDELAC partners on zoom
Staff Advisor: Michelle Zaldivar, Program Coordinator, Miczaldi@fiu.edu
The Fellowship is a semester-long leadership development program to take your social impact to the next level. The program provides access to world class training, connections, and recognition as fellows implement projects addressing the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Selected cohorts implement their projects every Fall semester. For more information visit the Millennium Fellowship page.
- Fall 2020 Campus Directors: Melanie Rodriguez and Raqqya Adside-West
- Fall 2019 Campus Directors: Ashley Weathers and Afsaana Mohammed
Ana Prado, Assistant Director - APrado@fiu.edu
Global learning Student Board
The Global Learning Student Board is a leadership opportunity available to students interested in taking their global citizenship commitment to the next level. Through the board, students will ensure that students' voices are represented in our office's programs.
- Meet with the office's leadership team to ensure inclusion of students' voices in program offerings
- Launch or expand your own global learning ideas/projects
- Support recruitment and promotion efforts for student centered programs such as Global Learning Medallion, Peace Corps Prep, Tuesday Times Roundtable, and Millennium Fellowship
- Foster mutually beneficial partnerships with student leaders across campus to advance global learning
- Represent the office at different events
Michelle Zaldivar, Program Coordinator, Miczaldi@fiu.edu