Faculty and Staff Workshops
On Campus Global Learning Course Design and Instruction Workshop
These workshops engage participants in global learning strategies that they can easily implement across the curriculum and co-curriculum. Participants will explore FIU’s global learning outcomes and how these can be developed through interdisciplinary, problem-based approaches; active learning strategies; multi-perspective content; and, both traditional and authentic assessments. Participants may be eligible to receive a stipend* for attendance.
Date: Thursday, December 13, 2018
Room: PC 231 Conference Room–enter through PC 230, Office to Advance Women, Equity, and Diversity (AWED)
Time: 9:30am-3:00pm, Lunch is on your own, 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Call for Proposals: Spring 2019 Global Learning Brown Bag Workshops
The OGLI is accepting proposals from faculty and staff to present active, engaging workshops for powerful GL teaching and learning strategies. Adjunct and full-time faculty and staff are eligible to submit. Presenters will receive a $500 stipend for presenting a 75-minute event.
GL Brown Bag Workshops should:
- explore a specific GL strategy that develops students’ global awareness, perspective, and/or engagement
- address one or more of the conditions of global learning: diverse perspectives, collaborative learning, and/or global problem solving
- promote active, collaborative learning strategies that are of wide-ranging interest to faculty and can be implemented across different disciplines
Deadline for submission: Friday, December 14th, 2018
Presenters will be notified by Tuesday, December 18th, 2018. The spring 2019 workshop schedule (month, day, time) will be constructed to accommodate presenters’ schedules. Workshop titles and descriptions for advertising purposes will be developed in partnership with the Office of Global Learning Initiatives.
Questions? Contact Stephanie Doscher, Director, Office of Global Learning Initiatives, email@example.com or 305-348-4146
Online Global Learning Course Design and Instruction Workshop
Whether you can’t make it to campus or just want a refresher, the Online Global Learning Course Instruction Workshop will help you to successfully infuse global learning throughout your courses.
This self-paced workshop will engage participants in the same global learning strategies discussed in our on-campus sessions. You’ll explore the meaning of global learning and global citizenship and learn how FIU’s global learning outcomes can be developed through interdisciplinary, problem-based approaches; active learning strategies; multi-perspective content; and, both traditional and authentic assessments.
*Global Learning Course Instruction Workshop Stipends
- Faculty teaching GL-designated courses are eligible to receive a $250 stipend for attending the entire workshop and submitting a completed GL course assessment matrix. The matrix must be submitted at the end of the first semester after workshop attendance. The workshop provides instructions for matrix submission. Faculty who have previously received a GL workshop stipend are not eligible to receive a second stipend. Per university policy, Graduate Assistants, Teaching Assistants, and Research Assistants are not eligible to receive a stipend but are encouraged to attend the workshop.
- Lead faculty developing/revising a course for GL designation may receive a $500 stipend for attending the workshop and submitting their GL course proposal to the Faculty Senate Global Learning Curriculum Oversight Committee. In addition to the workshop, faculty will meet individually with OGLI staff to develop and draft the proposal.
All workshop participants receive access to documents used in the global learning course and activity development process. Log in using your AD username and password (same as your faculty/staff email account).