TRANSFORMATION: Your annual opportunity to experience global careers in D.C.!
A Contest Open to All FIU Undergraduate Students
- change in form, appearance, nature, or character
- a change or alteration, especially a radical one
Every person experiences moments of transformation that forever change the way we see ourselves, our community, our world. Some of the most powerful transformations involve international or intercultural experiences, experiences that cause us to discover new things that unite, divide, confuse, or clarify.
This contest asks you to think deeply about your own international or intercultural transformational experiences. What’s more, it challenges you to inspire others by sharing your experience via artistic or informational media. These media include but are not limited to:
Selected students will receive a two day/one night trip to visit various federal government agencies and nongovernmental organizations during the week of May 1-5, 2017!
The trip will include several informational and networking sessions at federal government agencies and nongovernmental organizations. The agenda for this year is still being finalized, but some of the visits we have made in the past two years include:
- Determine a transformational international or intercultural experience. What happened? What changed? What lesson can you and others draw from this experience?
- Communicate your experience via artistic or informational media. All works, including performing art, painting, sculpture, and fashion or fabric art, must be recorded and submitted online. If work is not self-evident in terms of what happened, what changed, and lessons to be drawn, it must be accompanied by a written explanation. Writing must be typed and double-spaced using 12-point Arial or Times New Roman font with 1” margins.
- Click here to submit your entry no later than noon on Friday, January 20, 2017. The Office will confirm receipt of submission and will request that original paintings, sculpture, and fashion or fabric art be brought in for the day of judging.
Works will be judged by a panel of 5 FIU faculty and staff members. They will rate and rank work based on a rubric measuring the clarity, creativity, and power of the submission’s message. The total number of selected students is dependent on available funding. In previous years, 2 to 3 students have been selected as winners.
TRANSFORMATION is sponsored by:
FIU | Office of Global Learning Initiatives
FIU | Steven J. Green School of International and Public Affairs
FIU | College of Communication, Architecture + the Arts
FIU | Office of Engagement