COIL / Virtual Exchange Leadership Institute
February 10th-12th, 2020
Produced in partnership with
This three-day institute at Florida International University’s stunning Miami Beach Urban Studios will bring together teams from US and international higher education institutions to integrate Collaborative Online International Learning (COIL) / Virtual Exchange into their curricula and internationalization plans.
What is COIL / Virtual Exchange?
COIL, also referred to as Virtual Exchange or Telecollaboration, connects teachers and their students with peers in other countries via the Internet. The model involves in-depth cooperation between paired teachers co-designing re-imagined courses and students collaborating in small groups to complete shared projects. COIL produces meaningful, authentic international experiences for teachers and students without the cost and extensive time away from home associated with physical mobility. For students who do have the time and resources, COIL increases interest in study abroad.
- Jon Rubin, Director of COIL Consulting and former Director of the SUNY COIL Center
- Stephanie Doscher, Director of Global Learning Initiatives, FIU
- Matthew Hagood, Director of Media Technology Services, FIU
- Arden Napier, Instructional Designer and Adjunct Professor of Communication, FIU
- Sarah Guth, President and Project Manager for Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange,
UNICollaboration and Lecturer, Università degli Studi di Padova
Institute participants will be able to:
- evaluate their institution’s capacity for implementing and sustaining a COIL / Virtual Exchange program
- identify ways diverse campus stakeholders and units can collaborate to support a program’s success
- learn how other institutions have identified partner institutions and managed these partnerships
- identify key strategies for providing effective professional development
- formulate a plan for initiating and supporting an array of COIL / Virtual Exchange courses at their home institution
Who should attend?
Successful COIL programs are most often led by collaborative teams bringing different capacities to the table. These teams may include a Senior International Officer or International Education leader, a high-level academic leader, online learning professionals, instructional designers, teaching and learning center professionals, and/or faculty members.
- Implementation teams of three or more from the same institution = $675 per person
- Individuals or pairs = $750 per person
- Payment accepted by credit card via registration link, below. Contact email@example.com if you wish to pay by check.
- February 10th: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- February 11th: 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- February 12th: 9:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Breakfast and coffee breaks included all three days, along with lunch on the 12th
- El Paseo Hotel: Rate: $149 per night (King) or $179 per night (Double) plus tax & resort fee (WiFi, wine hour, 2 beach chairs & towels, 15% discount at Española Way restaurants, included). Booking deadline: January 6, 2020 (Registrants will receive a special booking code)
- The El Paseo is just a 7-minute walk from both FIU’s Miami Beach Urban Studios and access to South Beach
This event is sold out. Please contact us if you are interested in attending future events: firstname.lastname@example.org
FIU-COIL is funded through a Technology Fee Grant and is co-administered by the Office of Global Learning Initiatives (Stephanie Doscher, Director, email@example.com) and Media Technology Services (Matthew Hagood, Director, firstname.lastname@example.org).